The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Do You See What I See

Today at the National I found a lot of great items for my collection and took a few pictures of the signers at the Autograph Pavilion.  I will tell you what I saw, what do you see?

Rickey Henderson
I see a professional athlete in denial. I see the best lead off hitter ever who for some reason doesn't want to be remembered for his speed. He charges a bunch of money to sign, but refuses to sign bases. Really. That is kinda like Mike Tyson not signing a boxing glove or a fleshy piece of human ear. I just don't get it.

Mariano Rivera
I see a waste of money. Not that Mariano Rivera isn't spectacular, but $250 for a signature, $250 for a photo opportunity and $100 for an inscription. Get over yourself. Don;t you currently make $20 million to rehab. $250 is the highest asking price of any player at the National. And he sold at least 150 tickets. My god.

John Montefusco
I see the nicest ballplayer I have met. He asked the name of every autograph seeker and shook hands as well.  He seemed happy to be there and wanted to know about the people interested in his autograph.  I asked him who gave him the nickname "The Count" and he stopped signing to tell us the story.  He was called up and was supposed to be unavailable.  The starter was getting shelled and he came in with the bases loaded.  He got out of the jam and pitched seven innings.  Because he pitched so well they figured he would be around for a while and that he needed a nickname.  Al Michaels dubbed him "The Count". 

Doc Gooden
I see a great and unexpected opportunity.  I see a $10 well spent.  I also see a sweet Negro League jersey and a lot of crooked pictures.  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment